The senior men’s national team will remain in training despite the postponement of the Concacaf Qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
That is according to Barbados Football Association president Randy Harris.
“We must keep ourselves in training. There is no question about that. We were quite aware that the Qualifiers were being suspended until next year. FIFA and Concacaf wanted to make that statement as the people in charge. But we decided we will continue with our training program. It is very essential to us that we do not deviate from our original plan,” Harris said.
The preliminary games originally scheduled to be hosted during FIFA match window in October and November were called off as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic. Cocnacaf made the announcement yesterday in a statement.
Barbados, who is currently ranked at 81 and who was drawn in Group D, was set to meet Panama on October 8 in an away game, before facing off against Anguilla a week later (October 13) at their Wildey Turf home ground. In November, they were scheduled to face Dominica Republic away on November 13, before rounding off Round 1 four days later at home against Dominica on November 17.
All games will now be played during FIFA’s match window in March 2021 and the new schedule released in due course.
And Head Coach Russell Latapy said safety was always the first order of business working in this new COVID-19 environment, despite the team was looking forward to playing football again after all sporting events were suspended on the island back in March when the country went on lockdown.
He added that the Bajan Tridents would do their best in both the World Cup and the Gold Cup as they wanted to go as far as they could and achieve things not previously done.
“We would continue to prepare and we would use this time to get the guys in the gym to strengthen and develop some of the younger players, as well as prevent injuries. This now also gives us some more time to prepare and get all of our resources together,” he said.